This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
With a few fresh ingredients that most of us already have in our refrigerator and a few spices and pantry closet items which you probably already have as well, this delicious chili can be yours tonight for dinner!
If you happen to be home-bound today from the results of Hurricane Sandy stopping by last night then this is the perfect comforting meal to make for yourself and family. When I made it last week, the hubby didn’t even know I used turkey sausage AND he didn’t ask. My motto is, “if they don’t ask, don’t tell”! Otherwise my picky hubby would probably NOT have eaten it.
A tiny bit of spice which you could always eliminate or add separately in your own bowl upon serving. Top with some freshly chopped cilantro and if you like, a dollop of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt and you’ve got a super hearty winning dish!
Use a Dutch Oven or even if you don’t have one, use a large, heavy pot. BUT if you are looking to add to your kitchen essentials, THIS would be what I suggest. You can check out my Kitchen Must Have’s here 🙂
Yes I know it isn’t your traditional type of chili recipe, but every once in a while isn’t it nice to spice things up and try new recipes?
Well, I think so anyway and I hope you do too! 😉
adapted from fitnessmagazine.com/january2012
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Sweet Potato & Turkey Sausage Chili
- •1 tablespoon canola oil
- •6 links Italian Turkey Sausage sliced
- •1 cup diced onion
- •1 cup chopped carrots
- •3 garlic cloves minced
- •2 cups diced peeled sweet potatoes
- •1/4 teaspoon salt
- •1/2 teaspoon pepper
- •1 tablespoon chili powder
- •1 tablespoon cumin
- • 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- •1 teaspoon dried oregano
- •1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- •1 cup low sodium chicken or beef broth
- •1 can 14 ounce diced tomatoes
- •1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- •1 can 15 ounce pinto beans, rinsed, drained
- •1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat.
- Add the sausage links and cook until browned.
- Remove from pan, slice links and set aside.
- Add onion, carrots, garlic and sweet potatoes to the pot, cook about 10 minutes until tender.
- Add in salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, oregano, cinnamon and broth.
- Cook for 2 minutes then add in tomatoes and Tabasco sauce and bring to a boil. Return turkey sausage to pot.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add in the pinto beans and cilantro and cook about 5 more minutes until heated through.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 10*
Other recipes you might like: