Cheesy Bacon Hassleback Zucchini made on the grill or in the oven, either way it’s a crowd pleasing recipe!
Memorial Day weekend is upon us and I can’t think of a better way to to provide you an incredibly tasty crowd pleasing recipe that everyone will love, EVEN the kids. If you’re a grilling lover this is your jam but if you prefer to bake it, it’s equally as easy and just as delicious!
Top with some fresh chives and Parmesan cheese and enjoy hot off the grill or room temperature.
I made this recipe as a trial run for my family and parents one evening during the week. My parents were/are having kitchen renovations done and are without a means to cook except with the brand new convention toaster oven I bought her for Mothers Day. I invited them over, made some Crock Pot Chicken Marsala and served this as a side with salad. They raved about it. Of course the Teen boy of mine picked out the cheese and bacon and skipped the zucchini but my younger two and hubby were loving it.
Now granted the bacon is a bit indulgent but in order to get my picky family to even eat zucchini I must go to extreme measures and cheese and bacon are always my weapons of choice.
I prefer gooey cheese and used white cheddar from Cabot but any favorite cheese of choice will work. Other good melty type cheeses would be Gouda or smoked Mozzarella.
Doesn’t get much better than this when you can fire up your grill and eat in the beauty outdoors. I hope you’re Memorial Day weekend is spent relaxing with friends and family enjoying mouthwatering food that is satisfying to your body and soul!
- Serves: 8
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 143
- Fat: 12.8g
- Saturated fat: 5.3g
- Carbohydrates: 1.7g
- Sugar: .7g
- Sodium: 192mg
- Fiber: .5g
- Protein: 6.4g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
- 4 small zucchini (weight is about 1 1/2 pounds), cut in half
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 ounces Cabot cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces uncured low sodium bacon ( I used Applegate)
- Optional: 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese, chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F or heat your outdoor grill.
- Slice off ends of zucchini and discard.
- Make slices in zucchini crosswise but don't cut through bottom of zucchini.
- Place zucchini on a foil lined baking pan.
- Brush zucchini with oil and bake 20 -25 minutes until tender or grill on medium high heat until tender but not too soft.
- Remove from oven or grill to cool slightly.
- Slice the cheddar cheese. Set aside.
- Cook the bacon until crisp and drain on paper towels. Once cool enough to handle, break into pieces.
- Insert a slice of cheese and piece of bacon into zucchini.
- Broil 3-5 minutes or grill covered for just a minute until cheese is melted.(Use aluminum foil on grill to catch cheese when it melts).
- Top with chives and Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Enjoy immediately.