A perfect make ahead breakfast that can be frozen is like gold to a mother! These breakfast burritos are ideal for a family needing something quick and transportable.
Of course HEALTHY is the key right? YES!
The inspiration for these are from my friend Tammy who blogs at Skinny Mom’s Kitchen. She really has a way to inspire you to be more organized in making ahead meals. I truly never would have thought these would be tasty after frozen but I was wrong. Thank God she tried it first and shares her wonderful make ahead tips and meal kits. Worth taking a look at her site if you’ve never been.
Combining some eggs with egg whites, reduced fat cheese and some turkey bacon lightened these burritos to a small 205 calories per serving. AND they are delicious. Feel free to change your bacon to regular if you want but if you’ve never tried turkey bacon you should in this recipe since you won’t even notice any difference.
Adding some salsa is optional as some children may not like it so add it to your own burrito and label that burrito before freezing or storing the fridge.
My recipe makes 14. We are a family of 5 so we all had one for breakfast, I refrigerated 5 for the next day and froze 4. Works for me!
These are the tortilla’s I purchased at my local market. Only 70 calories for one! You can see the nutrition info here: Joseph’s Flax Oat Bran Whole Wheat Tortilla.
Perfect for the on the go don’t you think?
- 12 slices turkey bacon
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup milk, 1%
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded cheese ( I used a Mexican blend)
- optional: 1 cup [url:1]salsa
- Spray a large saute pan with nonstick cooking spray and cook your turkey bacon until crisp.
- Set aside on paper towels. When cool chop into small bits.
- In a bowl whisk together eggs, egg whites and milk.
- Using the same saute pan, cook the egg mixture continuing to stir until scrambled.
- Add cheese and optional salsa if using. Return bacon to pan and mix together. Cook until cheese is melted.
- Lay tortilla on a piece of plastic wrap if making ahead or lay on a serving plate.
- Scoop 1/3 cup of eggs and bacon in the middle of tortilla and fold up lengthwise, then each side and lengthwise again.
- Wrap in plastic wrap then aluminum foil if freezing or store in fridge for up to 3 days.
- To Reheat: Thaw overnight if frozen, remove foil and place in microwave for 45-60 seconds.