Healthy, delicious, sugar-free tomato sauce is hard to come by in a jar or can. Most often it contains ingredients I don’t want in my body, like sugar. For those with gluten sensitivities, buying store bought of any product can be challenging. Here’s a wonderful article By EveryDay Health, “There’s Gluten in That? Surprising Foods, Cosmetics, and Pills That Contain Gluten” that was a huge eye opener for me! Most jarred tomato sauces are gluten free, but isn’t it better to be able to be in control of what goes into your body by simply making your own?
It is not as long a process as one might think. Its very simple, economical and tastes even better! It’s much less expensive to buy 2 cans of crushed tomato than it is to buy 2 jars of prepared tomato sauce.
So when you have a hankering for some delicious, authentic Italian sauce , you must try this. You will never want to buy prepared sauce again!
If you prefer a chunky, meaty sauce you can try my Traditional Italian Bolognese sauce that is out of this world!
You just can’t go wrong with a homemade, gluten- free, sugar-free and downright flavorful tomato sauce any day of the week!
- Serves: 10
- Serving size: ½cup
- Calories: 63
- Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 3g
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 (28 oz) cans of crushed tomatoes
- 11/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- pepper to taste
- red chili pepper flakes to taste
- Optional: Top with fresh chopped basil and grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven or pot. Saute the garlic.
- Add all the other ingredients to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Once at a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Add optional toppings and serve over your favorite pasta!