These Banana Cream Pie Parfaits are a scrumptious, natural, low sugar, snack for the family.
Creamy, Homemade No- Sugar- Added, banana flavored pudding is layered between cookie crumbles using my grain free, sugar free vanilla wafers all in a perfect travel size mason jar for an easy grab-n-go snack for the kids!
When you've got kids who are in a gazillion activities and you're pretty much on the go most days of the week, snacks can be a help or a hindrance. Too many snacks destroy dinner plans.
My philosophy is that although I eat completely sugar -free and very low carb, I don't force my kids to eat this way because they are still growing and don't need such a low carb diet as I do to be at a normal weight.
With that being said, I limit their snacks to low sugar options and/or which only have natural sugars. I also prefer not to give them any artificial sweeteners that most often come in sugar-free packaged puddings.
This requires me to constantly make my own snacks for them since most packaged type snacks are full of sugars and artificial colors and flavors. But I also don't want to be slaving in the kitchen all day making snacks. I need convenience and this recipes hits the mark for that!
My kids have been asking me for a banana cream pie for some time now. I rarely make pies except for special occasions, like this Lemon Cream Pie, but good options for snacks is more what we need around here. Since I've just partnered with Horizon Organic to provide low sugar recipes for the family, I knew I had to create an adaption for a "pie" recipe for my kids.
They were in love in one bite!
The vanilla wafer crumbles are the perfect solution to creating that "pie" type feeling and taste made in a jar!
You don't need the whipped cream if you are on the run and grabbing these for a car ride to a soccer game, dance class or music lesson! Simply cover each jar in the fridge and attach a spoon to the side of the jar with an elastic band and your kids are good to go!
Thank you to Horizon for partnering with me to bring you Low Sugar Snacks for Children!
- I did not include the banana slices between pudding layers in my nutrition info for those of us who eat lower carb. There is enough banana flavor in the pudding and the vanilla wafer crumbles is perfect between the layers. I do feel in order for it to be a parfait though you do need to include my sugar-free vanilla wafers as the cookie crumbles. If you use another cookie the nutrition info will change. I did not include the whipped cream in the nutrition info.
- Just to compare the amount of sugar in Jell-O Instant Banana Cream Pudding referencing caloriecount.com, one serving has 18 grams of sugar, no fiber at all and 23 grams of total carbs. I think my recipe is a much better option!
Mini No-Sugar-Added Banana Cream Pie Parfaits
- 4 cups Horizon Organic whole milk
- 2 cups Horizon Half & Half
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup guar gum or use arrowroot powder or xanthan gum
- ½ cup Swerve sweetener or another sugar free granulated sub
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla liquid stevia
- 1 teaspoon banana extract
- 1 cup crumbled sugar-free vanilla wafers about 12
- Optional: 1 banana sliced 1 cup Horizon Heavy cream, more cookie crumbles
- In a large pot mix together the whole milk and half and half.
- Remove 1 cup and place in a sauce pan.
- Bring the whole milk and half and half and heat on low.
- While that is heating add the yolks, guar gum, Swerve and salt to another sauce pan. Mix well and bring to a boil then simmer 5 minutes.
- Pour the yolk mixture into the large pot of milk and cream and increase to medium heat.
- Whisk constantly, pour in the vanilla extract, vanilla stevia and banana extract. Continue to whisk until mixture thickens to pudding consistency, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, pour into a bowl and cover a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pudding so a skin does not form. Allow to cool.
- Place one tablespoon of cookie crumbles into bottom of each mason jar.
- Spoon in ¼ cup pudding over crumbles.
- If using banana, layer 3 slices of banana over pudding.
- Sprinkle another tablespoon of cookie crumbles.
- Finish with ¼ cup more of pudding.
- Top with whipped cream and more cookie crumbles if desired.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.