Chocolate Cake for breakfast?
No….. its not REALLY cake, but it looks like it doesn’t it? With frosting on top!
Ok….. you already read the title so you know what it really is, BUT I must say for breakfast this is truly heavenly! I topped it with plain Greek yogurt sweetened with a bit of stevia….Incredible I tell ya!
Of course you could leave it plain and just add some fresh fruit on top and it will be just as yummy!
Give it a few minutes to cool before removing it from the ramekin and enjoy warm! Full of fiber and protein!
I’ve made it about 3 times before I was able to get the moistness it needed. My previous recipe “single serving egg white whole wheat puff pancake” is perfected but uses flaxseed not chia. Throwing in cocoa powder changes this recipe and for those who’d rather bake with chia than flax. I wouldn’t mess with any substituting such as changing the chia seeds with flax here because the chia adds moistness and the flax is more drying with the cocoa powder. I have not tried using a whole egg as opposed to the egg whites, but if you do, just know that the egg white amount I used equals about 2 eggs.
- 1/3 cup egg whites
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon stevia, chocolate, liquid
- Using a blender, blend or whisk by hand all ingredients.
- Spray a 7 ounce ramekin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour mixture into ramekin.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees until toothpick in center comes out clean and pancake has risen.
- Mine were perfect at 20 minutes using my small convection toaster oven.
Other pancake recipes you might like:
- Whole Wheat Banana Puff Pancake
- Whole Wheat Berry Puff Pancake
- Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes
- Single Serving Whole Wheat Egg White Puff Pancake