This Sugar Free Keto Chocolate Cream Pie is a creamy luscious pie made without sugar and perfect for the holidays!
SUGAR FREE CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE
This is the most luscious, smooth, delicious sugar free chocolate cream pie you have ever had! Deep rich chocolate flavor and a creamy pudding like consistency makes this a heavenly keto dessert for the holidays!
"How will I ever survive without chocolate? Will I never be able to have a piece of chocolate cake for my birthday again? How can this be manageable?" These were the thoughts in my head 10 years when I first decided to try living without sugar and refined flours for 6 weeks.
6 Weeks of agony as I had to deny my sweet tooth and abstain. Utter Torture.
But then I discovered I could make the things I love without the sugar. Maybe they wouldn't compare, but I had to try and try I did. And I kept trying and I keep trying and creating recipes for over 14 years now!
My Sugar Addiction
I can't help myself, I have a sweet tooth, there is no denying. I have a thing for chocolate and I won't be ashamed. I had a little relapse when I got pregnant with my 3rd child and decided I didn't have an issue with sugar and I would just enjoy myself and then remove it after I gave birth.
He will be 16, three days after Christmas which always brings me back to that desperation I felt when I realized I was a sugar addict and I was worse than I really thought. I had no idea until I tried to remove the sugar and detox myself.
You see the first time I did it was purely to lose the baby weight from my 2nd child, I didn't think I had a problem. I don't think any addict realizes they have a problem until they try to stop whatever it is they are consuming and can't get enough of.
By the grace of God and support from a wonderful wise older mentor type mom, I was able to break free back in 2006 and have NEVER touched the white stuff since.
I remember that desperation and I never want to feel that way again. I have sugar freedom and I can still enjoy dessert and chocolate and pies as long as I make them sugar free. I can't tell you why I ever got addicted to sugar, but it happened and it was real.
But today I live a life free from sugar addiction and I am grateful. My entire journey to keto is documented in my new cookbook, Naturally Keto . I've also created some sugar detox courses to help those of you who have struggled as I once did!
HOW TO MAKE SUGAR FREE CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE
You need a fabulous low-carb pie crust, I used my Easy Keto Pie Crust for this recipe. You also need heavy cream, unsweetened cocoa powder, xanthan gum, sea salt, chocolate liquid stevia or another low-carb sweetener of choice, sugar free chocolate chips, eggs, and vanilla extract.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Whisk the heavy cream and cocoa powder in a sauce pan. Sprinkle and whisk in xanthan gum, salt and stevia . Bring to a boil.
Reduce to simmer for 3-4 minutes until it thickens like pudding.
Remove from heat and add chocolate chips. Stir until smooth then set aside.
Add the rest of the ingredients to a stand mixer and blend until smooth.
Pour a small amount of the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and blend on low to temper the egg mixture. Add a little bit more at a time so you don't cook the eggs.
Add the rest of the chocolate mixture into the stand mixer and blend until combined well.
Pour into prepared pie shell and cover the crust edges with aluminum foil so it doesn't burn.
Bake for 25-30 minutes until center is set but still slightly jiggly.
Cool slightly then refrigerate to set for 6 hours or overnight.
Top with homemade whipped cream and chocolate shavings if desired.
CAN THE SWEETENERS BE SWAPPED?
Yes if you don't have chocolate liquid stevia you can swap it with any low-carb sweetener you prefer.
Here is my Sweetener Guide & Conversion Chart to help you figure out how much to use to replace the chocolate stevia.
I am grateful I can still have chocolate cream pie without the desire to eat the whole thing! Stevia doesn't make me crave and that's what I'm sticking with. If I can do it, anyone can! Now go and enjoy some chocolate cream pie!
Other recipes you might love for Christmas this year:
Sugar Free Keto Chocolate Cream Pie
Sugar Free Chocolate Cream Pie
- 1 prepared low carb pie crust
- 3 ½ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon chocolate liquid stevia or vanilla stevia
- ½ cup sugar free chocolate chips like the brand Lily's
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons chocolate liquid stevia
- Optional topping: 1 cup heavy whipped cream whipped with 1 teaspoon vanilla liquid stevia
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk the heavy cream and cocoa powder in a sauce pan. Sprinkle and whisk in xanthan gum, salt and stevia .
- Bring it to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer for 3-4 minutes until it thickens like pudding.
- Remove from heat and add chocolate chips.
- Stir until smooth. Set aside.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to a stand mixer and blend until smooth.
- Pour a small amount of the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and blend on low to temper the egg mixture. Add a little bit more at a time so you don't cook the eggs.
- Add the rest of the chocolate mixture into the stand mixer and blend until combined well.
- Pour into prepared pie shell and cover the crust edges with aluminum foil so it doesn't burn.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until center is set but still slightly jiggly.
- Cool slightly then refrigerate to set for 6 hours or overnight.
- Top with homemade sugar free whipped cream and chocolate shavings if desired.
- The optional whipped cream on top is not part of the nutritional information.
- While the carbs are a bit higher, this isn't an every day kind of dessert but perfect for a special day like Christmas!
- This recipe was first published in December of 2014 and updated with video in December 2019.