Pizza made without grains, made without nut flour and made low carb! This pizza is also known as Fat Head Pizza!
Pizza is one of the most guilty pleasures we indulge in when trying to watch our weight, lose weight or even just eat healthier.
It tastes so bad for you and well…..usually it is. Loaded with hefty topping galore, one piece is never enough. It’s never enough because traditional pizza is not made with healthful flours that would keep you full and satiated.
Do you know anyone that can eat one piece of pizza?
Neither do I.
I’m not the first one to create this type of pizza but the original recipe, called Fat Head Pizza, contains nut flours I can’t use in my house as my youngest has a tree nut allergy.
I also tried the original recipe with my adaptions to the nut flour and the amount was too small for a family of 5.
I’m certainly not going to make a pizza all for myself! So I reinvented and worked on their recipe to make it work for us in our family. This way it is plenty big enough for everyone to have at least 2 pieces if they wished.
The most popular type of grain free pizza is the cauliflower pizza crust. And while I’ve tried that and I personally love it, my family could taste the difference. It was eaten but not something they would want on a weekly basis.
With this pizza they could eat it weekly and not tire of it or complain.
Why? Because it clearly resembles a real flour dough pizza!
Unlike cauliflower crust pizza which is hard to hold and easier to just eat with a fork, this pizza can be held like a traditional piece of pizza.
I did try to make this without parchment paper. I greased the pan and maybe it was my baking pan, but it did stick, which I hate.
So parchment works. May not be as crispy on the bottom as you might like but it is what it is and it works for us.
I’m just thrilled I can make a pizza my entire picky family will eat and it’s low carb and grain free and absolutely delicious!
While we all ate 2 pieces, I decided to keep the nutrition information to one piece. You can decide for yourself if 2 pieces is worth the amount of carbs.
You might also like:
- Whole Wheat Pizza dough
- Low Carb Cheesy Bread Sticks
- Low Carb Portobello Pizzas
- Low Carb Eggplant Pizzas
UPDATE 2/21/16: After many requests to remove the tapioca, I successfully adapted this recipe to lower the carbs even further. The original recipe had just 3 cups of mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup of tapioca flour and 2/3 cup coconut flour. I adjusted with much success and I’m happy to report and equally fabulous, nut free, grain free pizza dough!
The change in nutrition info is much better! Original recipe had 10.4 grams carbs and 2.7 grams of fiber and the protein increased as well.
UPDATE 9/2016: Some comments said it was a bit dry and hard to spread. I increased the mozzarella cheese by 1/2 cup which seemed to do the trick and made it nice and pliable. I also increased the time in the microwave from 1.5 minutes to 2 minutes making it much easier to mix together.
Here’s a quick video I also made for you:
- Serves: 12
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 200
- Fat: 13.3g
- Saturated fat: 7.3g
- Carbohydrates: 8.7g
- Sugar: 0.3g
- Sodium: 411mg
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 13.4g
- Cholesterol: 91mg
- 4 cups (408g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup (119g) coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a microwaveable bowl add the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese.
- Microwave 2 minutes.
- Stir until combined.
- Whisk flour and dried seasonings together.
- Add the eggs to the dried seasonings and stir until combined.
- Add this to the cheese mixture and continue to stir until incorporated.
- Wet your hands and spread mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet or use a rolling pin between two pieces of parchment. For a thin crust, measure out a 12 x 16 rectangle.
- Spread as evenly as you can all the way to the edges of the pan, continue to wet your hands with water if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Using a fork make holes into the crust.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Add your toppings and bake 5 more minutes to melt cheese.
Net Carbs: 4.7g