Pistachio Mint Quinoa is a wonderful gluten free alternative to using rice or other starches to compliment any main dish!
Fresh mint and crunchy pistachios throughout this quinoa dish make an impressive and stunning side dish. This side dish easily compliments fish, chicken, beef or can stand alone for a simple vegetarian meal by adding more vegetables.
If you've never tried quinoa before it's a wonderful gluten free seed that cooks in 10-12 minutes until water is absorbed and no draining is required. Faster than cooking brown rice or millet or baking a potato!
I love that it's so versatile! I've made a bunch of salads with it but never had experimented with it as a replacement for a starch in a meal. We tried it with some grilled shrimp on top and it was a win!
Pistachio Mint Quinoa
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic minced
- ½ cup red onion
- ¼ cup shelled pistachios
- 1 cup fresh mint
- 1 lime juice & zest
- Bring water and quinoa to a boil and add salt.
- Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes until water is all absorbed.Set aside.
- Heat oil and garlic over medium heat in a saute pan, once garlic is fragrant add onion and cook until softened. Set aside.
- In a food processor add pistachios and mint and pulse until finely chopped.
- In a serving bowl add quinoa, onion garlic mixture, nuts and mint and stir to combine.
- Squeeze lime juice over the mixture and serve warm.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Other recipes you might like: