This quick and easy family-friendly keto meal is made with just 8 ingredients and takes less then 30 minutes from start to finish!
The savory spices in the scrumptious Italian sausage once cooked creates an amazing juice to then cook your veggies in, all in one pan. It's a win win using one skillet, not only for all the amazing the flavors that it creates but for the ease of cleaning up!
When it's summer and zucchini is abundant, having some quick and easy meals using up your zucchini in a variety of ways is essential. Our meal today is all about not only using up the zucchini, but also in providing a delicious, nutritious low carb meal the whole family will love.
Even my picky kids actually ate the zucchini, because, yes this recipe is THAT good!
QUICK SKILLET ONE PAN MEALS
The beauty of one pan meals is that you have the easiest clean up, just one single pan! Once you cook up your protein in a large skillet, you remove it to add the veggies so they have time to cook and get nice and tender.
When you remove your sausage, simply place it into a covered glass dish that you will use for left overs anyway. That way you can keep your sausage warm while you cook the veggies.
Once your veggies are tender, add the sausage back to the skillet, add optional mozzarella cheese and make sure to allow it to melt. Stir it all together and you are done! Top with fresh chopped parsley if desired.
CAN I SWAP THE ZUCCHINI?
Zucchini is a fabulous, super versatile, low carb veggie when you are on a keto diet or low carb diet. It has just 3.5 grams of carbs in 1 cup of raw or cooked sliced zucchini. It's an abundant crop in the summer and a great source of vitamin B6 and folate.
As an Italian, my family have used zucchini for years and years and none of my family are even low carb. We've used it for frittatas weekly and just sautéed it in olive oil when my father grew the zucchini in his backyard garden and we were overloaded.
One of my most popular zucchini recipes is my Cheesy Bacon Hasselback Zucchini. Another super popular recipe is my Salt & Vinegar Zucchini Chips! If you really are not a fan of zucchini you can certainly swap it out. I'd suggest cauliflower, broccoli or even eggplant.
WHAT IF I DON'T USE SEASONED ITALIAN SAUSAGE
Growing up as a Sicilian Italian, we used sweet and hot Italian sausage all the time. But I totally understand if you're not a fan. You could definitely swap out the ground Italian sausage with ground beef, or ground chicken or even ground turkey.
Sweet and hot Italian sausage, like the kind I get from Butcherbox is pre-seasoned with salt, paprika, fennel and pepper. So if you choose not to use Italian sausage, and swap it with something else, you will want to cook your ground meat with at least 1-2 teaspoons of that combination of spices listed above.
KETO SIDES WITH ITALIAN SAUSAGE SKILLET
This quick sausage zucchini skillet is a one pan meal that doesn't even needs sides, and can be easily made in under 30 minutes on a busy weeknight.
If you have a bit more time and are looking for some sides with this quick skillet meal, I've got some great suggestions for you.
LOW CARB KETO MEAL PLANNING
You can choose from Three Meal Plan Options:
Low Carb Meal Plan includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks with 40 net grams of carbs or less per day.
Keto Meal Plan includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks with 20 net grams of carbs or less per day.
Intermittent Fasting Keto Meal Plan includes 2 meals per day plus one protein/fat rich snack daily with no more than 20 TOTAL carbs per day.
QUICK KETO ITALIAN SAUSAGE ZUCCHINI SKILLET
Quick Keto Italian Sausage Zucchini Skillet (One Pan Meal)
- 2 pounds ground Italian sausage (I used sweet Italian sausage from Butcherbox) See notes above re:spices*
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 cups quartered zucchini or 2 large zucchini
- 2 teaspoons Bell seasoning or a mix of oregano, parsley, rosemary, pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- red pepper flakes optional
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded, optional
- Pour the oil into a large skillet on medium high heat then add the ground sausage. Cook sausage until browned. Remove from skillet into a covered dish to keep warm.
- Add the onions and zucchini into the same skillet. Add seasonings, garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper if using. Cook until onions are translucent and zucchini is fork tender. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
- Add sausage back in the skillet and toss together. Sprinkle in mozzarella cheese if using and toss to combine and cook on low until cheese is melted.
- Top with fresh chopped parsley and serve.
- Store left overs in a covered container in the fridge for up to 3 days.