These low carb, Fat Head Keto Rolls are almond flour free and the perfect alternative to traditional buns for sandwiches, burgers or even personal pizzas!
If you've never tried the Fathead dough it's for a fabulous pizza dough. I changed the orginial recipe removing the typical almond flour since we have nut allergies in our family. I've used the dough for savory pizza, pizza pockets, cheeseburger calzone, chicken calzone and even for sweet recipes like a cheesy danish and pumpkin twists!
So this recipe is essentially just my pizza dough recipe with 1 addition and a change in how to make the rolls. Pretty simple and picky family approved! I took this on our Cross Country trip making them ahead of time and freezing them.
We enjoyed them as sandwiches and for burgers as well as just a roll with butter on the side of an entree.
If you do freeze them as I needed to do for our trip, I baked them, sliced them after they cooled and froze separately first on a baking sheet so they wouldn't stick together. Then placed them in a ziploc bag. To reheat from freezer I just toasted them, worked wonderfully.
- You can also store these in the fridge and just reheat in a toaster oven. If you store in the freezer, bake, cool, slice and freeze on a baking pan separately then add to a ziploc bag so this way they won't stick together. I've reheated straight from the freezer.
- This video below is showing how the dough comes together. Instead of spreading it out on a baking pan, simple form 8 round mounds of dough and flatten slightly or keep smaller and don't flatten and they will be higher.
Happy 4th of July!
UPDATE: I mistakenly added 1 tablespoon of baking powder instead of 1 teaspoon when my kids were talking to me one afternoon while preparing this rolls again. GOOD THING IT HAPPENED! LOOK AT THE DIFFERENCE IN HEIGHT!
*So if you want fluffy rolls with dinner use 1 tablespoon and if you want flat rolls for sandwiches use 1 teaspoon of baking powder!
Delicious Either Way!
Keto Fathead Rolls
Update: After making these numerous times over the last year, the rolls were just too big in my onion. I reduced the size and got 12 perfect rolls. Nutrition is adjusted for 12 now instead of 8 rolls.
Keto FatHead Rolls (Almond Flour Free)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a microwaveable bowl add the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese.
- Microwave 2 minutes.
- Stir until combined.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and dried seasonings together.
- Add the eggs to the dried seasonings and stir until combined.
- Add this to the cheese mixture and continue to stir until incorporated.
- Spray a baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray.
- Wet hands and separate dough and form 12 rolls.
- If desired flatten slightly or keep smaller and less wide as my pictures show.
- Place them onto the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool then slice in half.
- Enjoy immediately or refrigerate or freeze. See notes above video for freezing.
***If you want fluffy rolls with dinner use 1 tablespoon and if you want flat rolls for sandwiches use 1 teaspoon of baking powder! Net Carbs: 4g