This low sugar cranberry sauce has a hint of orange flavor, perfectly sweet but made without sugar!
Cranberry sauce or jelly whichever your preference is the epitome of Thanksgiving. Without it, the table is just not ready, and if not served on Thanksgiving someone will inevitably ask for it.
Why do we love it so? Possibly the high sugar content in store bought kinds is my guess.
Will it taste just as good without the refined sugar in it you wonder?
With a slight hint of orange zesty-ness and perfectly sweetened with orange flavored stevia you won’t have anyone asking if it’s healthy. If you don’t have orange flavored stevia on hand, use plain stevia or even lemon would work.
For only 20 calories per half cup and 2.8 grams of natural sugars I think that’s a pretty good difference than typical store bought sugary cranberry sauce. Gotta save some carbs here so you can enjoy them on other goodies right?
Because it’s so low in calories and carbs you can go enjoy some more pie! Maybe my Low Carb Low Sugar Chocolate Pecan pie is going on your table this year? I’d love to hear if you make it for family and if they can even tell it’s low carb or low sugar, let me know!
- If you don’t use stevia you could try Swerve or Truvia to sweeten this. I would suggest 1/2 cup then taste and adjust as needed.
- Serves: 12
- Serving size: ½ cup
- Calories: 20
- Fat: .1g
- Saturated fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 5.1g
- Sugar: 2.8g
- Sodium: 1mg
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Protein: .2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- 2 (12 ounce bags fresh cranberries)
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup orange juice
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons liquid stevia, orange flavor preferred but not necessary
- Combine cranberries, water, orange juice, zest and applesauce to a sauce pan.
- Boil over medium heat, stir frequently, mash cranberries if needed, for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add stevia.
- Cool slightly then taste and adjust sweetener.
- Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
- Good for up to 3 weeks.
Did you know I have a cookbook soon to be released on December 9, 2014. Right now you can pre-order on Amazon at a discount!