Kale is becomingly increasingly popular and for good reason. It’s a wonderful green full of healthy benefits. Kale chips has been the most popular way to enjoy them but more and more you will be seeing raw kale used in salads.
This salad is a twist on a salad a friend of mine made for a party years ago, except she used a mix of salad greens and a bottled dressing. I always remembered enjoying the flavor of pear and blue cheese together. Super yum!
I decided to try raw kale in place of romaine. I love kale in my smoothies and cooked as well. Raw as a salad, I was a a bit skeptical and not sure how my stomach would react. Surprisingly I must say, no issues, actually better than when I just use romaine lettuce!
You will notice the salad is high in fat, but that is coming mostly from healthy olive oil and the walnuts. I found reduced fat blue cheese and my local supermarket. I could have decided this salad up to serve 6, but if you want it as a main dish, it’s a hearty salad for 4, hence the higher calories and fat. The hubby and I enjoyed it for two days!
Other Kale recipe you might enjoy:
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 1/4th
- Calories: 410
- Fat: 30g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 85mg
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- 6 cups chopped packed raw kale, stems removed
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 pears with skin, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese, light
- optional: Garlic Parmesan Gluten Free Croutons, 1/2 cup dried cranberries, fruit juice sweetened (found at Whole foods)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon or regular mustard
- pepper to taste
- In a large bowl toss together all ingredients.
- In a small bowl whisk dressing ingredients and combine with kale and fruit.
- Top with croutons if desired!