This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
When you have a family and know the meals they love, it becomes easy to make a weekly menu. Very helpful during a busy week of activities. Unfortunately it can tend to get a bit boring at times as well.
Making a brand new recipe for the family though can be risky business! You just don’t know the outcome of the little people in your life ( or the boyfriend or hubby) who will either give it a thumbs up or down. My kids have learned to be a bit more open minded since I love variety and love to try new things every week. They are also pretty honest as is the hubby.
This recipe is one of those instances of treading on new territory! I had never made this before until about a month ago as I was getting bored with our standard meatloaf. I’ve made it a few times now. The typical way with all beef. A half and half version using some beef and some ground turkey and now my healthier version seen here. The family says this last version is the best and I’m happy to say it is using ALL ground turkey!
WIN WIN for all of us!
Recipe adapted from Food Network.com.
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 pounds ground turkey, 93% lean
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats, quick
- 3 egg whites
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- The Gravy
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons marinara sauce, bolognese sauce or tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup water
- fresh chopped parsley
- Saute onions, mushrooms, minced garlic with oil in a large pan until onion is softened.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together turkey, oats, egg whites, garlic powder, salt, pepper, flaxseed, Parmesan and 1/2 cup beef broth. Add a 1/2 cup of the cooked onion to this mixture if you like.
- Shape into 8 ovals.
- Brown patties in the same pan you used for the onions until browned on both sides.
- Return onions and mushrooms to the pan with the patties. Keep the heat on low while you prepare the sauce in a small bowl.
- Mix together the rest of the broth, tomato paste or sauce, vinegar, water, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic powder and flour in a small bowl.
- Pour this mixture into the pan with patties, onion and mushrooms. Cover and cook on low for 15-20 minutes.
Serve with Homemade healthy Garlic Mashed Potatoes with a sneaky hidden veggie!