This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Nothing says, “Home Cooked Comfort Meal” more than pot roast does.
The smell alone while cooking this is enough to make you want to pull up a chair and sit in the kitchen, doing absolutely nothing, just waiting for it to be done. Which of course as a mom is completely impossible to do but the thought of it sounded good didn’t it? Well, just the same your family will walk through the door and ask what that awesome smell is and when is dinner ready!
Why is pot roast such a loved and cherished traditional meal? Not quite sure but I have the sneaky suspicion it simple has to do with the fact that most everyone has meat and potatoes, carrots and onions at home. Those staple ingredients that beckon you to make them into something extraordinary. Yes, this is just a basic pot roast but it really is so much more! It’s a meal that when cooked correctly is a no fail for family friendliness as well as a perfect meal to bring to a family in need, or those who just had a baby, or the elderly or for company. Now would be a great time to bring a meal like this to those who have been effected tremendously from Hurricane Sandy.
When I make this, my kids eat all their vegetables on their plate AND ask for more.
Yes. They. Really. Do. How can you get kids to like carrots? Make this recipe. I bet you they will truly love it!
Other recipes you might like:
- Quick & Hearty Beef Stew
- Crock Pot Beef Burgundy
- Healthier Salisbury Steak
- Healthy Stuffed Pumpkin
- Sweet Potato & Sausage Chili
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Perfect Pot Roast
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast 3 pounds
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary divided
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups potatoes cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups carrots peeled, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Season meat with 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon rosemary and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper on each side.
- Add the oil to a large Dutch oven over medium high heat and cook garlic until fragrant.
- Carefully pour in balsamic vinegar.
- Add meat to Dutch oven and brown on both sides.
- Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add potatoes, carrots, celery and water to pot.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce to low.
- Simmer 2 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Top with gravy and chopped parsley
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 12*